So you’ve invested considerable time looking for the perfect color on Pinterest and now searching which salon to call before making the big step, let’s drop some not so “alternative facts” and help you sort through the nonsense that we heard you might be told!
Understand a few things so you can leave the rest to a little common sense. The darker the hair the more it has to go through to get any light shade, the more you bleach it the more damage it can do. Hair is its gold yellow or red needs to be lighter to remove these undertones before being able to get the “mermaid” looking colors unless they too are red, yellow or orange.
- Depending on how dark your hair is, it can take 2-3 applications and up to 9 hours.
- May not be able to remove red, orange or yellow totally depends on your hair which in turn will effect end result
- Is more expensive than a regular color yes. Sometime a lot, 3-4 times. Anyone who offers this at a very cheap price or deal be suspicious
- Once you do the pastel shade over the blonde or lightened sections, understand it will fade fast, can stay for 10-15 washes or could last 1-3 months depending on hair quality after lightening.
- Will it make your hair fall out… no. If done incorrectly it could break but there are treatments to prevent this happening.
- Care and at home Maintainence? Sulfate free shampoo that won’t strip color. Pastel blondes may require a purple shampoo to maintain tone ( like kms blonde shampoo or clairol blonde available on line )
- You can color it back close to your natural color yes however covering the color does not change the fact underneath its colored and could be damaged. Long term care is required.
So the darker the hair the harder it is, the more work needed and the more upkeep. Can it be done? Of course it can be but takes time and know how.