A split end or the technical name is “trichoptilosis” ( fyi no one uses that we are just dropping it in to show we know it 🤭) is caused by dehydration, where the hair frays splits into two or more and will eventually split off and remove hair length.
The causes are broad but to give you an idea what type of things create your hair to split here are some!
- Excessive color processing, you may think you want a color but your hair just can’t take it. Overlapping color will cause irreparable damage.
- Not getting regular trims, yes every 6-8 weeks
- Excessive heat damage, we say it a lot but even a hairdryer used incorrectly can dry your hair out and cause split ends. Curling irons, straightening irons etc
- Excessive sun and wind
- Inappropriate combing your hair, only comb or detangle with conditioner in it. Pulling out knots roughly will put undue stress on the hair
- Not conditioning
- Not using heat protection
There are a lot more causes but these are the main ones which can prevent majority of split ends.
How can you make your hair grow faster, you can’t but you can stop or reduce the ends breaking off and the length to get shorter but looking after it doing the following.
- Always using conditioner
- Combing only when the conditioner is in your hair with a wide tooth comb
- Not rubbing or tossing your hair around like a blanket
- Not over doing it with heat tools like curling irons flat irons etc.
- use a heat protection serum
- Regular trims 6-8 weeks if no color, if color then every 4-6 weeks
The only real way to remove a split end is to cut it off, there is nothing that fixes it, it has to be removed!
Good luck and remember if you treat it gently and don’t abuse it, your hair should be doing exactly what you want it to do, if it’s not then drop in and see us.