Choosing the right color for your skin!
Anyone who has ended up with a color that looks like you did it yourself will attest that coloring hair is an art and needs to be done right the first time! Unlike coloring a wall or a canvas, each time you color your hair damage is done that can not be reversed completely.
Some of the key things to keep in mind when choosing the right color are…
- Upkeep, are you happy to get it redone when it’s needed? Some colors would need a lot of Maintainence whilst others very little. Ask about price, products needed etc etc
- The nylon swatches are an indication, they are close but it doesn’t work like choosing a color for your walls, depending on your hair current hair color, the history of color your hair has been through on the result so if your not being asked these questions then you really need to re think your salon choice.
- Whilst some brands claim to be Amonia free, they refer to the tube of color that is yet to be mixed with the higher amonia to activate it before it goes on your hair.
- Some colors can not be done or achieved without implications or possibly done over time and not able to be done in one sitting. A good stylist will tell you.
- Your skin tone is one thing yes, some of the other factors that can determine if a color will suit you are personality, lifestyle, hair texture to name a few. It’s not just skin color.
- Understand color names for goodness sake!! Red and gold and different colors, red isn’t gold and gold isn’t red. A warm color is as the name suggests it’s warm ( red, gold, copper, mahogany, yellow magenta etc etc). A cool color is as the name suggest it’s cool ( ash, silver, blue etc ).
- Ask questions before getting it done but JUST AS IMPORTANT listen! If your stylist is saying don’t do it then maybe they have a good reason, if there are things to consider then consider them then.
- Don’t shop on a budget and expect a magazine cover result, it’s NEVER going to happen. Cheap is cheap!